Saturday, September 5, 2026

THE DAY I DISCOVERED THE MISSING LINK (LINK WRAY)

One of the most satisfying aspects of collecting records is the seemingly endless amount of recorded music there is left to explore. One of my most memorable discoveries was the day I bought LINK WRAY's 1979 "Bullshot" album. I thought the leather clad cat was some British punk I hadn't read about in any of the fanzines I had begun to use for reference. Nor had any of the bands I was listening to mentioned him as an influence. I brought it home based simply on the cover. The black and white image with bold red text was a similar to the graphic style that adorned my copies of THE ONLY ONES "Special View" and the self titled album by THE BEAT. 


Naturally I began my research and learned that Link had in fact been around since the earliest days of rock & roll. I initiated a search for anything with Link Wray's name attached to it and found a collection of his early work called "Rock'n'Roll'n'Rumble" on Charly Records. I didn't have to wait long to experience the untamed savagery of his iconic 1958 instrumental rocker, "Rumble" as it kicked off Side 1 with a sonic blast. The over-blown distortion of "Ace Of Spades" and "I'm Branded" combined with Link's tortured howl on "Hidden Charms" and "Good Rockin' Tonight" embedded an indelible influence on my musical tastes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment